Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Skaneateles Real Estate - The Weekly Update

I've been through a rough week with Charlie, my new/old King Charles Cavalier spaniel.  You really do not want to know the details - symptoms and all that.  Suffice it to say that we are now getting hardwoods to replace the carpets, which needed it anyway.  I am also providing the funding for all the gorgeous gardens for Doc Schnabel at the Weedsport Animal Hospital.  Charlie came through, twirling his way to good health.  If I spoke with you or wrote you an e-mail this week, it was probably while I was at the hospital or en route to the ultra sound place in Syracuse.  Thanks goodness for my iPhone!

So I am feeling a bit feisty now and want to pose a question.  Once a house has been sold, do you - readers - think it appropriate for the agent who brought the buyer to put up his or her sign saying SOLD on the property?  If so, for how long?  This has been a controversy brought to my attention over and over.  Please chime in with your comments!

Currently, there are 100 single family homes for sale in the Skaneateles area of the multiple listing service.  Of these, 30 are in the village and 26 are considered waterfront.  Eight "new" ones came on the market this past week.  Four were re-lists, so I won't describe them - it's the season for homes to come back on the market.  The new four listings break down to two village homes hovering around the $300,000 mark.  Another house is a very recently built home selling for less than the price that was paid for it only a few miles from the village.  The last new listing is a very beautiful waterfront coming on well over a million dollars.

Homes are selling!  A very pretty little ranch with acreage came on the market two weeks ago and is now contingent.  Lovely!  That brings to 5 the contingent sales, to go with 6 more considered under contract.  A small camp was pended - now there are a full dozen pended properties, just waiting to close.

And, like most weeks this year, another home closed!  It was a sweet home in the village listed for under $200,000.  That brings to 19 the properties closed this year-to-date.  Hooray!

And as I've told my buyers - they are not going to last.  Skaneateles is going to sell out this year - I just feel it!