Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Skaneateles Real Estate - The Weekly Update

I have been sorely remiss in my blogging. I apologize. The past week has been filled with life and death, babies soon to be born, friends undergoing incredible surgeries, pets not surviving. Although none are family issues, they still engulf us. It seems like forever since we went to Utica to see Gordon Lightfoot - but it was only 6 days.

I promise better in the future, in part because blogging is so therapeutic for me. This month is the wedding month, and I want to be rested and restored for it. Blogging aids the process.

Plus selling a house or two......

There are currently 141 active listings in the Skaneateles area of the multiple listing service. Of these, 44 are waterfront and since it's the season I thought I'd key in on the lake listings as a whole. Some of course are streams and ponds and even a creekside. Take away about 3 of these, so let's say 30% are waterfront and active.

We did have 4 new - really new, no re-lists! - listings come on this week. There are two in the town, one farther out and in the low $200,000s and one closer and newer (I remember when it was a lot that I sold!) under $500,000. There's another less than a million waterfront and the last is a tiny rehab in the village for under 200K.

Nothing was marked contingent this week, and of the 8 properties only one is waterfront. There are also 6 pending properties of which half are waterfront. So in the next few months hopefully our percentage of closed waterfront from these homes will be close to 30%.

There is one new closing this week which brings the year-to-date total to 39, just bursting to get to 40 when I will do a list. At this time last year there were only 20 closed properties! The new one is waterfront, closing at about 75% of its original price of over 1.5M.

This year there are only 12.5% of the closed properties that are waterfront, as compared to last year's 30%. Prices this year range from 359,000 to 1.7M while last year the numbers were $375,000 to $775,000 at this time.

I was curious to see when we had 39 properties closed last year. It was all the way into the first week of October, 2008! We are well ahead of that mark - I can't wait to see how we end the year!