Thursday, July 16, 2009

Skaneateles Real Estate - The Weekly Update (Wedding Edition)

Last night as I pulled out of the driveway and headed to the lake so we could get some sleep I realized that my update wasn't done. Since it was late, I didn't turn around and go back in the house. I apologize.

The world doesn't stop, offers and counter-offers don't end, just because my one and only son is getting married on Saturday. That's the way it should be, in my opinion. Real estate is too much a moment to moment operation - "If you snooze, you lose!" No snoozing allowed. I would hate for one of my clients to lose anything.

BUT! I can be a bit late and cursory with the update, I sincerely hope. This marriage will last so it will be the one and only time I can use this excuse.

There are currently 144 active listings in the Skaneateles area of the multiple listing service. There are no new listings - the first time I think that has happened since I began the weekly update in March of 2008.

There are no new sales, either - must be those thunderstorms have kept people away. I've been showing houses and my listings are being shown, some daily, but nothing is official yet. Except two closings that haven't hit the computer....

To date there are 43 homes listed as closed. Two new ones - hooray! - a waterfront, which closed at about 15% below the original list price, and a village home which closed at the list price - under $200,000. I just finished listening to an NPR report on a book about what would happen if the price of gas rose to $20 per gallon. The consensus was that it will in a few years and that smaller towns, urban centers, and villages with dense population would experience a re-birth. Everything contained within a few short blocks. Gee - kind of like Skaneateles!

And that delightful (this year) comparison I love to make - only 21 closings at this time in 2008. I must use that statistic several times a week when people ask me about the market.

So if you are out and about, please check out our tent to the left of the Sherwood Inn. And you may be out and about - the sidewalk sale, aka Curbstone Festival, is in full swing. And there will be the community band at the gazebo on Friday evening, the old cars coming to town from the Nationals at the Fairground, and just a marvelous Finger Lakes weekend. Enjoy!