Tuesday, June 24, 2008

House of the Week

I have to admit, it was hard to choose this week. I saw 5 houses in 3 hours - from Camillus to Auburn, and three of them are stuck in my head.

I am not choosing the fantastic waterfront property off East Lake Road with the winding drive down to a ton of wood, stone, ceramic and tile plus creative lighting throughout. Not the sauna and the wine cellar, or that kitchen with every upgraded appliance and gorgeous granite. It's offered at $2,000,000 and seems a bargain at that.

I am also not choosing the totally decorated and reconfigured home on West Genesee - again stone and tile and tremendous style whose price includes all the furnishings: $729,900.

I liked - and forgive my taste but I thought it sweet and full of potential, "a little bit of heaven" the owners called it - a home I saw on Richard Road out past Borodino. From the wood stove on the main level to the wood stove in the basement, I was charmed. I loved the views most of all - 12 acres down not to the lake, but to more mature trees. Looking out the front windows you could see across the lake to the shore and then up into the fields. It must be spectacular in the fall.

The potential I saw was in the development of the home. It already had two bathrooms upstairs and a full basement just waiting for a family room or additional bedrooms. The doors downstairs were thrown open to manicured lawns. A stream trickled down the north side. The home begged for French doors off the living room to a deck which would hang out over the acreage.

No, not for everyone. But quiet and privacy and oh, those views! Offered for $189,900.