Thursday, June 12, 2008

House of the Week

I spent Tuesday doing my own broker's open for my new listing, 158 Shire Way in Camillus. I ate ice cream - I had promised something "nutritious and yummy" but wilted under the 90 degree heat. Whole milk, fresh fruit in the ices, good dark chocolate around the mini-Dove bars - that's nutritious, right?

The house was invitingly cool and I sat in the eat-in kitchen at the table watching the skies and listening to public radio through the whole-house speaker system. The skies showed at first rumbling dark clouds and I heard about extreme lightning storms threatening the area. The rain came in buckets and then stopped. The tornado warning followed with a list of afternoon school closings and cancellations across the region. Never a dull moment!

It felt right to be in that house. The owners had purchsed it as an investment and leased it back to Ryan Homes for use as a model. In exchange they received many upgrades and the interior decoration to make the model gorgeous. And it is.

I can't remember the first time I saw it, or with whom, but it made an indelible impression. "This is a ranch?" I thought. Cathedral ceilings, luxury bath, morning room, fireplace, upgraded kitchen. The layout is the best - master bed and bath on the left side, family room in the middle, two bedrooms on the right side with the laundry and another full bath. Simple - makes all the sense in the world!

The model is the Williamson, and while Ryan offered other plans everyone fell in love with the model and opted for it. As you drive through the community of Westshire, you see all but a couple Williamsons.

Everything about the community works. It's close enough to 695 to allow for quick access into Syracuse, the landscaping comes as part of the package for the homes, common areas will also be landscaped and everything will be maintained under a homeowners association. Very little work, but the joy of being independent and with single floor living. I think it will be one of the premier neighborhoods in the coming years as it matures.

I've sold a couple homes in there and shown it to others, so when I was asked to list it I was thrilled. I knew the house well, and as I put together the list of features that are unique to it because it was the model I was even more impressed. A Trex deck, epoxied basement floor (it shines!), the appliances including the washer and dryer, and all that professional interior decorating can do to make it stand out.

The furniture won't be there long because it goes back to Ryan Homes for auction, I understand. I've got an open house this Sunday, 1:00 to 3:00, to take advantage of the furnishings. But somehow I believe that even cleared of all the pomp and circumstance, it will still be remarkable.
Offered at $279,000.