Thursday, April 30, 2009

Skaneateles Real Estate - The Weekly Update

Thank you all for being so patient. The last two days I've spent in Watertown, driving up for a 9:00 class and returning to show houses in the evening. Late evening. Watertown, for those of you who don't know, is about 90 miles due north up Route 81. The drive was spectacular each morning - rolling hills, very little traffic, and that early sunshine and low-lying fog. I was there for the core class for my Green designation. It fits with my lifestyle and concerns, so I am bringing my business into alignment, too.

As of yesterday, there were 138 active listings in the Skaneateles area as defined by the multiple listing service. Seven new listings came on over the past week - 2 in new construction, 2 waterfront properties, 2 re-lists at different prices (lower), and one brand new listing.

Four - count them! - single family residences "sold" in the past week. Wow! My fabulous fixer-upper (not mine, but I loved the possibilities) out on Nunnery is marked contingent, as are two other homes in the town. A waterfront that was reduced about 33% of its original price was also marked contingent. Things are happening!

We now have 22 closed properties, the latest being a village home that came within 6% of its original price from last fall. Last year we only had 15 properties closed, a significant difference.

Camillus is suffering through our last year's market: 47 have closed in 2009 as compared with last year's 82 by this time. Marcellus is also slumping a bit - 9 compared with 17 in 2008. Elbridge, dear old Elbridge, is mogging along at the same rate just about - 9 homes now, 10 last year.

I have not forgotten my promise to publish the list of closed homes. I will take that up later today. Stay tuned!