Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Skaneateles Real Estate - The Bi-Monthly Update

With great sadness I want to note the passing of Bob Feldmann last month. He owned the hardware store in the village which used to be where Kinney's now stands. He was an institution in the town. His wife, Shirley, worked at Gallinger Real Estate when I started there, and as far as I know is still an active agent now that it's Realty USA. I knew the family for years - they attended my church in Syracuse when I was a kid. Bob was so much a part of the village-scape when I would be there summers as an adult, and finally when I moved back in 1990. In the past few years when I walked West Lake Street I liked to look up and see Bob mowing or just enjoying the view from his porch. He will be missed.

But real estate awaits, and does not end. Maybe slows down a bit, but we all do at times...Currently there are only 105 active listings in the Skaneateles area of the multiple listing service. Thirty of these are in the village - and without going through every listing there may be some listed twice, once as town and then again as village. No one wants to miss a sale, or a look from a potential buyer!

Three "new" properties came on in the past two weeks - two are re-lists, one on the water the other in the Falls. The third listing is a ranch in the mid-$100,000 range not far out of the village.

Five single family homes are marked contingent, as in under contract but continue to show. Two are newly marked - a sweet little home just outside the village in the low $100,000 and a village property that has been listed for a couple years and may hopefully have found itself a new family. A good sign, both of these!

There are nine properties listed as under contract, do not show or pending closure. None are new, unfortunately.

We now have 4 closed properties for the year - hooray! The last is a small camp that closed in the high $300,000, about 18% under its original list price. But hey - I see a pattern! Of the four sold, three (count 'em!) are WATERFRONT! That, as the saying goes, is "HUGE!"