Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Skaneateles Real Estate - The Weekly Update

Finally! It's been a long day, but a good one, and just when i thought I was ready to write the late spring afternoon assailed me and Boo. We went for a climb in the cornfield and then back home for dinner. I know it's spring in Central New York because my turtlenecks are more pastel.

On to the market which has been red hot - I kid you not! There are currently 123 active listings in the Skaneateles area of the multiple listing service. But they won't last, not if the number of phone calls and the activity keeps up! Anyway, four are new this week: two waterfront re-lists at lower prices, one country listing drastically reduced (think 25%) and a new house with acreage actually in Cayuga County.

There are six total properties marked contingent, and I must say that the two new ones are my listings. I am very happy, and I can't tell you what they will close for as my loyal readers know, but I am happy they are sold, or at least well on their way. Skaneateles will welcome two new families who will love these homes.

So far this year we have 15 homes that have closed, the latest selling for the listing price within a few weeks of its listing. The joys of great pricing! The median price of a home this year is $300,000 whereas last year there were only 13 closings but the median was $375,000.

I had lunch with Bob treating today at Valentine's. He lost the bet this morning, saying that it felt like it was 40 degrees outside at breakfast. Turns out it was only 30 degrees - if wishful thinking could make it so! We ran into a friend who constructs stairs, and he told us what everyone is saying, that he is extremely busy. "February? Nothing! Now - everything!"

I have called for buyers on several homes this past week only to find they were sold with multiple offers. I am talking about homes that have been on the market, expired and have been re-listed. Suddenly they are discovered and offers come out of nowhere. I love it! With the rates as low as they are plus the first time homebuyer tax credit - bring it on!