Friday, May 22, 2009

I've Been Phished!

Send no money - I am doing fine in Skaneateles, selling and listing homes!

Thanks to all of you who have expressed concern!

6:30 pm
After a very long day of showing homes, answering the phone, and replying to e-mail concerns, I am actually thrilled that everyone called me or checked with Linda here at the office.

We are calling the attorney general, as requested, to report international internet fraud. I am sorry for any inconvenience or discomfort this caused you.

There is a website - thank you Karen - that purports to "protect me" from this particular fraud. All I have to do is pay them some $$$. I did not click on the "click here" for a multitude of reasons. I feel like the small storeowner who is being threatened by thugs!

It's been interesting to hear reactions. Several people brought up the lack of grammar in the letter, the misspelling of my e-mail address, and the surprise that I would ask poverty-stricken people to send money. One lovely recipient of the e-mail said she believed I would find a different way out of my predicament and she wasn't worried.

My favorite was the person who said this was a great scam on my part, calculated to ensure that I heard from people I haven't spoken with in a long time. I did have wonderful conversations and caught up on what was happening in others lives, but I promise you I did not initiate the original e-mail.

For those of you somehow missed it, or deleted it immediately as I did, the e-mail stated that I was stuck in London and could not get out of a hotel unless I paid $2,250. I was allowed only one e-mail, so.....please send the money or I would be stuck forever.

I am not stuck - I am so happy to be here in Skaneateles with the new knowledge of how concerned people in my life are for my welfare.

Meg