Friday, May 16, 2008

Excitement in the Air!

It's 6:30 on a very rainy, mostly chilly, Friday evening here in the village. Not exactly the place to find excitement, but it's been that sort of day.

I got in before 10:00 this morning to work on my flyers and postcards for my two new listings. I've been having fun designing my own cards and feature sheets with the help of the RE/MAX design center and Karen. I'm really pleased with how they came out. Less pleased to find out that they must take two stamps because the postcard 27 cent stamps aren't out yet, so I'm putting on 24 and 3 cent-ers. The "common buck-eye" is on the 24 cent stamp - my guess is you don't know what a buck-eye is in this instance. I'd forgotten, although it wasn't so long ago that I used them for postcards.

To return to excitement. So there I was sitting in the office in the front desk which I love, and a gentleman walked in after looking at the pictures in the window. He asked about my new listing at 11 Onondaga Street (open Saturday, 1:00 to 3:00, by the way) and then said his wife reads my blog and enjoys it. I cannot tell you how happy that made me. My goodness!

Then around noon one of my clients dropped in, continuing his search for a place to rent. He is building a new home, but his wife and children will be here before it's finished. We looked at places on the computer, made a date to see a couple after work, and I made a few phone calls. I think he's going to take an apartment that another client is going to close on in a week. It works for everyone - he has a short term rental and my buyer has good people immediately in half of his duplex. I love it when I can help people find each other!

In the afternoon several of us gathered in Doug's old dining room behind our current office. RE/MAX Masters has leased the lovely old brick building for additional space. The windows are great, and will present our listings definitively. SLJ Construction will have the shelves in by Tuesday, I hope. It's amazing what we've accomplished in our single office next to Doug's. We currently have the majority of Skaneateles listings over one million dollars!

Mary McNeill, our former broker/owner who has been in the business for many years, gave a class on representation out there. I never used to enjoy classes, preferring to just buy and sell rather than discuss the process. But her anecdotes are priceless, and I know I can always learn more. That was some more excitement, to be there and with Mary and other RE/MAX agents, eating cookies from Sam's Skaneateles Bakery....

Afterwards I finished copying the paperwork for the opens tomorrow and Sunday (204 South Street in Elbridge, also 1:00 to 3:00). I thought about the day and watched the people going to Doug's for their Friday night fish. Even though I knew that Bob had some marvelous dinner planned that probably involved asparagus, I had to blog before I left the office. To be read, to be heard, that's quite a compliment!