Wednesday, May 14, 2008

What a Great Idea!

In the "I wish I'd thought of that" category I have to tip my hat - large, straw, Panama-style - to Gerry Morrissey of our RE/MAX office.

He had a huge ad in today's Skaneateles Journal (www.skaneatelesjournal.com) highlighting his properties in the area. One of the things he offers as an incentive is a free home inspection prior to listing. WOW! Now that should make him stand out and yes, he does have a ton of listings.

I also urge people some of the time to have an inspection so they know what the problems are in the home. I think it's an invaluable tool - plus if it hasn't been done there may be safety issues that have been overlooked and should be addressed anyway, whether it's being listed or not.

I like getting a very tough inspector both when I'm listing and when I'm selling. There are enough horror stories out there about issues that were ignored or just not seen. It's costly, and I hate to have anyone upset. I'd rather lose a sale than have anyone live in a home that was not as thoroughly inspected as possible. Knowledge is power.

After speaking with Gerry about his offer to pay for inspections, I was surprised to find that people have not taken him up on it! Incredible - I guess "ignorance is bliss" outweighs "knowledge is power"...?

What is that saying about the sincerest form of flattery? I will start offering pre-listing inspections, too. Thanks, Gerry!