Thursday, November 3, 2011

Skaneateles Real Estate - The Weekly Update

When I started this blog three years ago I said I would write about my experiences as a Realtor in the lovely lakeside village of Skaneateles.  I think I've veered off the path a bit, talking a lot about the houses and not as much about the people or my thoughts and feelings, always afraid of offending.  But today started out filled with emotion and I want to share that, because emotion has been so much a part of this job.

I received an early morning text - I check, because Alex and I are playing "Words with Friends" and he is about to beat me (for the first time, I might add...)  The text stated - and I could feel the excitement - that clients I have known for years have finally prevailed with their bank and will be cleared to buy something soon.  This has been a huge undertaking, and their persistance to not allow the bank to ride roughshod over them has vindicated them and their credit.  Such joy!

The next text was about the passing of a friend/client's family member...so very sad. 

It's not just a job - it's a lifestyle, of becoming involved with people on a very intimate level.  And caring about their lives, hoping to relieve stress, helping with decision-making but always knowing it's not my decision.  In the past few weeks I have heard dozens of times (a bit of hyperbole) "I couldn't do what you do!"  A doctor who deals with life and death every day tells me she wouldn't have my job for anything.  I wouldn't have hers...but I do deal with life and death, illness and money woes all the time.  And I am blessed with the clients I have and the clients I will have in the future.

Back to the houses....there are currently 139 active listings in the Skaneateles area of the multiple listing service, of which 40 are in the Village and 30 are waterfront.  There's a new waterfront that just came on for under a million and my listing at 3244 East Lake Road which will be open Sunday, from 1:00 to 3:00.  I call it a "storybook home" - if you saw The Player, the Altman film from several years ago, there's a scene in which the young couple stands in front of their idyllic home - and it looks just like this one!  

3244 East Lake Road - Open 1:00 to 3:00 Sunday, November 6th