Sunday, March 16, 2008

Response to a Comment

On my last blog, a young reader wrote in to ask about the most expensive home sold in this area in the past five years. I published the comment, and now I'd like to answer this most intelligent question. And parenthetically, I hadn't thought of using the blog this way but this is great!

The most expensive house that came to mind immediately was 45 West Lake Street, and indeed after checking with the multiple listing service it was, by far. There may have been private sales, but this is the one on record with the service.

It truly is an incredible house. Within easy reach of Genesee Street, with a view over the water of the village, and over 7800 square feet of newly renovated space on 1.8 acres it is worthy of "most expensive home in the area" status. The deciding factor was, in my opinion, 422 feet of waterfront, the most, I believe, within the village.

I remember going to the broker's open and just falling in love. I had seen it before it was renovated and thought it was a lovely space, but the revamping of space and all the artful additions made it irresistible. The third floor had been totally changed into an Adirondack-like haven.

A lovely, lovely home; it sold for $4,900,000.