Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Unusual Homes

Last Saturday an article on the "Space House" caught my eye. The title was "Drop in housing market brings Space House price out of orbit." It was sold at auction in Chattanooga, Tennessee for $135,000. It looks like a flying saucer, complete with a retractable staircase.

We have a few different homes in our neck of the woods. Way out overlooking Otisco Lake somewhere is a tree house. The owner wanted to live in one and found an architect to design and build it. To my knowledge, it still exists.

Then there's the geodosic dome just outside Amber on the east side of the lake. It was on the market a few years ago and one of my clients put in an offer. It was eerie - if I said something in a whisper in one part of the house the sound bounced to another. I still liked it - quite rustic and on a great piece of land. The trees had closed in on it over the years - you wouldn't know it was there from the road. It sold for around $90,000, if I remember correctly.

I'm about to leave to look at absolutely beautiful homes - four/five bedrooms, three full baths (at least), granite and cherry kitchens, new construction for the most part, and acre lots "in a park-like setting." I know that I would prefer these houses in the long run (not that I'm buying!) but I am still tugged back to the odd ones. As I sit here, I try to think what I would build, if I could, that would be different. I'll have to think about that for a while.